- Text of Disability Discrimination Act
- DDA chapter of Federal Discrimination Law Online, the Commission's major legal publication
- Disability Discrimination Regulations
- Information on prescribed laws
- Information on the history leading to the DDA
- 1992 parliamentary debate on DDA
- 2002 amendments
- 2003 amendment bill regarding drug addiction : not proceeded with
- 2004 Bill regarding civil aviation safety
- DDA Amendment Bill 2004 on education: Ministers' Press Release; explanatory memorandum; text of Bill; Commission press release; second reading speeches and passage of Bill; Commission submission to Senate inquiry
- Productivity Commission review of DDA and government response
- 2008 amendment Bill passed; see guide to amendments; see also Senate Inquiry including Commission submission (MS Word)
See also our page providing information on Disability Standards made under the DDA.
Information on how to purchase hard copies of legislation may be found at http://www.publications.gov.au/?legislation.
Please note that while Commission has has statutory responsibilities under the Disability Discrimination Act - which is concerned with non-discriminatory access and opportunity throughout society, in areas such as employment and education - we do not have any responsibilities in relation to the Disability Services Acts of each Australian jurisdiction, which are concerned with services more specifically directed to people with disabilities. In common with all Australian legislation, the Commonwealth Disability Services Act and its equivalents in each State and Territory may be found on the website of the Australasian Legal Information Institute.
- National Disability Discrimination Legislation: Report of Natinoal Consultations with People with a Disability (MS Word): Disability Advisory Council of Australia, 1991
- Commonwealth Disability Policy 1983-1995: Parliamentary Library Background Paper 2 1995-96
- The Disability Discrimination Act: Ensuring Rights of Australians with Disabilities (PDF): Professor Bonnie Tucker
The official versions of Hansard records of parliamentary debates are on the Parliament's site www.aph.gov.au . The files below have been placed on Commission's own site for convenient access in response to a number of requests.
- Explanatory memorandum for original Disability Discrimination Bill 1992
- 2nd reading speech by the Hon Brian Howe
- 2nd reading debate and committee stage in House of Representatives
- 2nd reading debate in Senate
- Committee stage in Senate
- Text of Disability Discrimination Amendment Bill 2002
- Explanatory memorandum
- Second reading debate: House of Representatives (material reproduced from www.aph.gov.au for convenience)
- Second reading: Senate (material reproduced
from www.aph.gov.au for convenience)
- Parliament index page for Bill
- Minister's press release
- Senate inquiry information including public submissions and report (PDF file)