In April 2010, Commissioner Broderick was instrumental in bringing together some of Australia’s most influential and diverse male CEOs and Chairpersons to form the Male Champions of Change group. The group aims to use their individual and collective influence and commitment to ensure the issue of women’s representation in leadership is elevated on the national business agenda.
Tapping into the full talent pool will give us a diversity advantage, creating commercial, societal and economic value. If we want gender balance to be the norm in our organisations, we must create the conditions and cultures that enable both men and women to thrive.
As all the research says, there is no ‘silver bullet.’ With wide consultation, we have identified an interconnected set of high impact actions that leaders can take to ‘change the game.’ These actions fall into four key themes.
- Stepping up as leaders
- Creating accountability
- Disrupting the status quo
- Dismantling barriers for carers
The group will also provide support and advice to Commissioner Broderick on this issue. The creation of Male Champions of Change shows an important recognition of the significant role that CEOs and Chairpersons have in achieving more gender balanced leadership in Australia.
For the charter on MCC please click here.
The members of Male Champions of Change include:
- Glen Boreham, Non-Executive Director
- Gordon Cairns, Non-Executive Director
- Stephen Fitzgerald, Non-Executive Director
- Alan Joyce, CEO and Managing Director, Qantas
- Elmer Funke Kupper, Managing Director and CEO, ASX Limited
- Kevin McCann, Chair & Non-Executive Director
- Lieutenant General David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australian Defence Force
- Ian Narev, CEO, Commonwealth Bank
- Sir Ralph Norris, Non-Executive Director
- Grant O'Brien, Managing Director and CEO, Woolworths Ltd
- Martin Parkinson, Secretary, The Treasury
- Michael Rennie, Managing Partner, McKinsey
- Stephen Roberts, Chief Country Officer, Citi, Australia
- Stephen Sedgwick, Public Service Commissioner, Australian Public Service Commission
- Mike Smith, CEO, ANZ
- Andrew Stevens, Managing Director, IBM Australia and New Zealand
- Giam Swiegers, CEO, Deloitte Australia
- David Thodey, CEO, Telstra
- Ian Watt, Secretary, Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Geoff Wilson, Asia Pacific Regional Chief Operating Officer, KPMG
- Simon Rothery, CEO, Goldman Sachs
- Publication: Accelerating the advancement of women in leadership: Listening, Learning, Leading (6 November 2013)
- 'Historic event' launches Male Champions of Change report - News story 6 November 2013
- Male Champions of Change Raise the Bar on Gender Reporting - Release 19 June 2013
- Male Champions of Change publication - launched 12 October 2011
- Male Champions of Change research launch on 12 October 2011 in Sydney
- Media release: Male leaders build momentum for women in business - published on 18 April 2010