Social Justice Report 2006
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: The new arrangements for Indigenous affairs - facilitating Indigenous access to governement services
- Chapter 3: Addressing the fundamental flaw of the new arrangements for Indigenous affairs – the absence of principled engagement with Indigenous peoples
- Chapter 4: International developments on the rights of indigenous peoples – Closing the ‘protection gap’
- Appendix 1: Chronology of events relating to the administration of Indigenous affairs, 1 July 2005 – 30 June 2006
- Appendix 2: Summary of the Social Justice Commissioner’s main findings and messages on ending family violence and abuse in Indigenous communities
- Appendix 3: Shared Responsibility Agreements Survey form
- Appendix 4: Second International Decade of the World’s Indigenous People
- Note - Use of the terms ‘Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ and ‘Indigenous peoples’
5 April 2007
The Hon Philip Ruddock MP
Canberra ACT 2600
I am pleased to present to you the Social Justice Report 2006.
The report is provided in accordance with section 46C(1)(a) of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986. This provides that the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner is to submit a report regarding the enjoyment and exercise of human rights by Aboriginal persons and Torres Strait Islanders, and including recommendations as to the action that should be taken to ensure the exercise and enjoyment of human rights by those persons.
The report analyses the accessibility of mainstream services under the new arrangements for Indigenous affairs (Chapter 2), the adequacy of government engagement and participation of communities under the new arrangements for Indigenous affairs (Chapter 3, Appendix 3) and reports on international developments on the rights of indigenous peoples (Chapter 4, Appendix 4).
The report includes 8 recommendations and 1 action that I will continue to monitor over the coming year.
I look forward to discussing the report with you.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
Social Justice Commissioner