Page last updated: 20 August 2012
The Disability Discrimination Act makes discrimination in education unlawful. We have established this page to provide a convenient entry point for Commission resources on equal access to and opportunity in education which exist in various parts of this site, and to provide access to resources from other organisations where these are available electronically.
We hope this page will develop further. If you would like to see other resources included here, please let us know.
- Disability Standards for education (Attorney-General's Department index page including explanatory material) or click here for direct link to Standards
- Education Standards review completed August 2012
- See also the RDLO network 's Education Standards page
- Registered Action Plans by education providers
- Guide to development of Action Plans for tertiary education providers
- Hurst and Devlin v Education Queensland (Federal Court 15 April 2005)
Discrimination found in one case and not another where education provided to deaf child other than through Auslan interpreting; but see now Full Court decision finding discrimination in second case also (28 July 2006).
- Hinchcliffe v University of Sydney : Discrimination claim rejected: information formats provided inconvenient but not inaccessible; most requirements which were communicated to university were met.
- Clarke v Catholic Education Office (Federal Court, 8 October 2003): Education discrimination found in failure to provide Auslan interpreting: see now Full Court decision upholding finding of discrimination
- High Court decision in Purvis v NSW (appeal dismissed); see also See also Purvis v NSW (Full Federal Court 24 April 2002): Federal Court decision finding no unlawful discrimination confirmed; State of NSW v HREOC and Purvis (Federal Court, 29 August 2001): Commission finding of unlawful discrimination reversed.
- Travers v State of NSW (Federal Magistrates Court, 22 March 2001): Unlawful discrimination found.
- Travers v State of NSW (Federal Court, 3 November 2000)
Court refuses application by education authority to have complaint summarily dismissed
- Hills Grammar School v HREOC (18 May 2000)
Federal Court decision upholding Commission decision finding discrimination in education
- Commission decisions on education complaints
- Decline decisions on education complaints
- Conciliated outcomes in education complaints
- Access to tertiary education materials - papers from 2002 Commission forum
- Main Commission pages for students and teachers
- Teaching resources - youth challenge
- "Advancing equality in education and beyond" September 2005, Dr Sev Ozdowski OAM, Acting Disability Discrimination Commissioner
- " The DDA and education seven years on" Graeme Innes , Pathways Conference, Canberra December 2000
- "Equality by degrees: a place on the platform" : Graeme Innes, Deputy Disability Discrimination Commissioner, 13 April 2000
- "Assumption, Expectation And Discrimination: Gender Issues For Girls With Disabilities" : 1997 speech by Elizabeth Hastings, Disability Discrimination Commissioner 1993-97
- Letter from Susan Halliday to Canberra Times in response to article calling for discrimination against students with psychiatric disabilities
- Summary of barriers reported from 1996 consultations by Elizabeth Hastings
- Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education and Training
- CATS: Creating Accessible Teaching and Support
- Classroom resources from the UK Disability Rights Commission
- AVCC Guidelines relating to students with disabilities (PDF) or Word version
- Association of Independent Schools South Australia enrolment guidelines (PDF) with forms on questions (PDF) and student support plans (PDF)
- QUT disability links and resources
- United States Department of Justice FAQ on child care centres
- Advice on disclosure of disability NDCO Program, University of Western Sydney
- Education to employment transition package: NDCO Program, University of Western Sydney
- DDA Amendment Bill 2004 on education: Ministers' Press Release; explanatory memorandum; text of Bill; HREOC press release (12 August 2004); second reading speeches ; Senate inquiry
- Copyright FAQ ; AVCC guidelines on information access for students with disabilities (PDF) or word version ; Copyright council guidelines
- Notice of Commission forum
- Discussion paper
- Perspective papers from forum participants
- Steering committee first meeting and terms of reference
- Steering committee second meeting
- November 2004 update on forum
- Copyright forum : first meeting and second meeting
- U.S. Bill for Instructional Materials Accessibility Act 2002 : see also IMAA links by American Federation for the Blind
- Accessible Textbooks Clearinghouse
- Accessible Distance Education
- Accessibility of Information in Electronic Textbooks for Students Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired: Texas Education Agency, 1997
- Accessibility of information in electronic textbooks for all students: Texas Education Agency, 1999
- Making educational software and websites accessible guidelines
- Survey: How accessible are Australian university web sites?
- Speech: Roundtable on Information Access for People with Print Disabilities 22 May 2006, Graeme Innes
- Speech: Copyright v Human Rights: Balancing the rights of authors and the interests of people with print disabilities, 3 October 2003
- Briefing to UNSW, December 2005, Bruce Maguire