Project on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander attraction, recruitment and retention in Defence
We acknowledge the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and recognise their continuing connection to land, waters and community. We would like to pay our respects to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, their cultures, and elders, both past and present.
Defence has requested the Australian Human Rights Commission (the Commission) to complete a project on the attraction, recruitment and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and Defence Australian Public Service (Defence APS).
As part of this project, the Commission is seeking participants from the following groups:
• Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander personnel currently or formerly employed by the ADF and/or Defence APS
• Current and former supervisors of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander personnel in the ADF and/or Defence APS.
Complete the survey
Select the link that applies to you from the list below. Hard copies are available on request.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Current ADF and Defence APS personnel
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Former ADF and Defence APS personnel
- Current and former supervisors of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ADF
and Defence APS personnel
Your responses will remain confidential. All data used in the final report will be de-identified. Survey responses will be received and held only by the Commission.
You can contact the project team at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1800 324 979
Have your say
Over the coming months, we will be meeting with current ADF and Defence APS personnel at Defence locations across Australia, as well as conducting interviews with former ADF and Defence APS personnel.
If you wish to register for a focus group or request a one-on-one interview, please complete the expression of interest form below:
Difficulties may be experienced with this form when accessed from some Defence protected networks. If you experience difficulties you can either complete the form on your personal device or register your interest directly with the Commission by calling 1800 324 979 or emailing us at email@example.com. Apologies for any inconvenience caused
Sharing your experiences can be distressing. Please reach out to one of the services below if you need support.
- Open Arms – 1800 011 046 (support for veterans)
- 1800RESPECT - 1800 737 732 (a 24/7 national sexual assault and domestic and family violence counselling service)
- Suicide Call Back Service - 1300 659 467
- Relationships Australia - 1300 364 277
- Mensline – 1300 789 978
- Lifeline - 13 11 14
- Beyondblue -1300 224 636
- Black Dog Institute – (02) 9382 2991
- EAP Connect– Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Helpline – 1300 287 432
- Defence All-hours Support Line – 1800 628 036
This project has ethical approval from the Defence and Veteran’s Affairs Human Research Ethics Committee and the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies.