Voices of Australia - Resource sheet 5
Short answer questions
- What year was the Racial Discrimination Act passed into legislation?
- Who does the Act apply to?
- Is the Act a state or federal Act of parliament?
- What is 'direct discrimination'? Write about an example of direct discrimination
that has occurred in your community.
- What is 'indirect discrimination'? Write about an example of indirect
discrimination that has occurred in your community.
- A local company wants to advertise a position. They have sent you the
advertisement in order to make sure it is not discriminatory. What suggestions would
you make to the following advertisement?
Sales person needed
Company seeks young, motivated Asian
woman to work in local shoe shop. Must have long, dark hair and a pleasant smile.
Single women only. Drivers licence essential. Call 858585.
- Who does the Racial Discrimination Act protect?
- What is the role of the Australian Human Rights Commission regarding the Racial Discrimination Act?
- Which international convention does the Racial Discrimination Act come
- Find out how many states and/ or territories in Australia have introduced laws
that deal with racial discrimination.
- Explain the importance of the Racial Discrimination Act in Australian
- What impact, if any, has the Racial Discrimination Act had on Australian
society over the last 30 years?
- Does the Racial Discrimination Act need to be amended? Consider relevant
cases as well as Australia's commitments under international law.