6.1 Commission projects and publications
The Commission has considered issues relating to the human rights of people impacted by section 501 visa refusals or cancellations in the following work:
- The Commission’s report: 2011 Immigration detention at Villawood: Summary of observations from visit to detention facilities at Villawood
- The Commission’s 2009 submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs inquiry into the Migration Amendment (Immigration Detention Reform) Bill 2009
- The Commission’s 2008 submission to the Joint Standing Committee on Migration’s inquiry into immigration detention in Australia
- The Commission’s 2008 submission to the Clarke Inquiry on the case of Dr. Mohamed Haneef.
For further information, see the Commission’s immigration detention, asylum seekers and refugees webpage.
6.2 Other useful links
- Department of Immigration and Citizenship factsheet, The Character Requirement
- Commonwealth Ombudsman report no. 1 (2006), Administration of s 501 of the Migration Act 1958 as it applies to long-term residents
- Commonwealth Ombudsman report no. 10 (2007), Report into referred immigration cases: other legal issues
- Commonwealth Ombudsman, Immigration detention review reports (many of which relate to section 501 detainees)
- Susan Harris Rimmer, The Dangers of Character Tests: Dr Haneef and other cautionary tales, The Australia Institute, Discussion Paper Number 101
- Refugee and Immigration Legal Service & Immigration Advice and Rights Centre, Legal Information Kit: Visa Cancellation under s501 of the Migration Act
 At http://www.humanrights.gov.au/publications/2011-immigration-detention-villawood#s9 (viewed 24 June 2013).
 At http://www.humanrights.gov.au/legal-research-and-resources-0 (viewed 24 June 2013).
 At http://humanrights.gov.au/legal/submissions/2008/20080829_immigration_detention.html (viewed 24 June 2013).
 At http://www.humanrights.gov.au/legal/submissions/2008/200805_haneef.html (viewed 24 June 2013).
 At http://www.humanrights.gov.au/human_rights/immigration/index.html (viewed 24 June 2013).