There are Federal laws to protect people from discrimination and from breaches of their human rights. We have responsibilities under these laws to investigate and conciliate complaints of discrimination and human rights breaches.
The following links provide information about the laws that protect people from discrimination in employment, education, the provision of goods, services and facilities, accommodation, sport and the administration of Commonwealth laws and services.
Age Discrimination Act 2004
The Age Discrimination Act 2004 protects people from age discrimination in employment, the provision of goods and services, education and the administration of Commonwealth laws and programs. Read more.
Racial Discrimination Act 1975
The Racial Discrimination Act 1975, promotes equality before the law for all people regardless of race, colour or national or ethnic origin. It is unlawful to discrimination against people on the basis of race, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin. Read more.
The Sex Discrimination Act 1984protects people from unfair treatment on the basis of their sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, intersex status, marital or relationship status, pregnancy and breastfeeding. It also protects workers with family responsibilities and makes sexual harassment against the law. Read more.
The Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986 articulates the Australian Human Rights Commission role and responsibilities. It gives effect to Australia’s obligations under the following:
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)
- Convention Concerning Discrimination in Respect of Employment and Occupation (ILO 111)
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Declaration of the Rights of the Child
- Declaration on the Rights of Disabled Persons
- Declaration on the Rights of Mentally Retarded Persons, and
- Declaration on the Elimination of All Forms of Intolerance and of Discrimination Based on Religion or Belief.
More information: The Australian Human Rights Commission (information sheet).