Notice of application for temporary exemption
The Australian Human Rights Commission has received an application from the Aboriginal Family Violence Prevention and Legal Service Victoria.
This application is made pursuant to section 44 of the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth) (the Act) and is for an exemption from the operation of sections 14 and 86 of the Act.
The applicant requests the exemption to allow it to advertise for and employ women in a number of roles. This is because the majority of its clients are women and children who have experienced violence and/or sexual assault by men. The applicant states that working closely with men may further traumatise its clients, cause them discomfort or inhibit full disclosure by them.
The exemption may be granted for up to five years.
- Letter to the Commission from the applicants seeking exemption in PDF or Word
- Background information provided by the applicants in PDF or Word
- Affidavit of Antoinette Christian Winter Braybrook in support of the application in PDF or Word
- Affidavit of Rebecca Anne Boreham in support of the application in PDF or Word
- Affidavit of Shelley Frances Burchfield in support of the application in PDF or Word
- Attachments to affidavit of Shelley Frances Burchfield in support of the application in PDF or Word
- Decision of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal dated 7 June 2010 in PDF or Word
- Statistics provided by the applicant in support of the application in PDF or Word