Complaints to the Australian Human Rights Commission must be in writing. To ensure that all necessary information is provided, we prefer that you complete one of our complaint forms provided below. You can complete and submit a complaint online or you can print a hard copy and send it to us.
A complaint can be made in any language. Follow the link for information in other languages about making a complaint. We can also help you to write down your complaint if necessary.
Electronic complaint forms
- Online complaint form (Smartform)
- Online complaint form (Web Form) (can be accessed on smart phones and tablets)
- Complaint form (Word version)
- Complaint form (PDF version)
Authority to Act
If you are lodging a complaint on behalf of another person, this person will need to provide authorisation for you to act on their behalf. They can do this by completing the attached Authority to Act form, which should be submitted together with the complaint form.
Authority to Act.docx (to be completed electronically)
Authority to Act.pdf (to be completed by hand)
Submitting the complaint form
The complaint form can be submitted by:
- Post to Director, Investigation and Conciliation Service, Australian Human Rights Commission, GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001
- Fax to 02 9284 9611
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like the Commission to send you a hard copy of a complaint form, or you need assistance to write down your complaint, please call our National Information Service on 1300 656 419.
What happens next?
To find out more about the complaint process, please refer to Information for People Making Complaints.